One year ago today, the Traverse City City Commission passed an ordinance allowing food trucks to operate on city property. A year later, that decision has really paid off with (at last count) a bakers dozen of food trucks operating in and around Traverse City.
Read on for more including our listing of Traverse City food trucks!
The Little Fleet on East Front Street is ground zero for the TC food truck scene. Owner Gary Jonas took a break from “Food Truck Jenga” – positioning 8 trucks on Little Fleet’s lot – to explain how that came to be, “We saw that Traverse City was a foodie town and that a lot of young people were visiting and moving here who were looking for a more urban experience. Instead of using our lot as a parking lot, which is the least urban decision you can make, we decided to use it to bring people in and create something new in the community. To have a lot that’s full of trucks after just one year is amazing.”
Simon Joseph, owner of the Roaming Harvest food truck and one of the pioneers of food trucks in Traverse City agreed. “I think the growth in the food truck scene is great, and I’m really excited to see what the new trucks bring and how much it furthers our reputation as a culinary destination. Onward and upward!”
Gary, Simon and the rest of trucks and crew at Little Fleet will celebrate this astounding growth with the Food Truck Launch Party on Saturday, May 17th from 10 AM – close with live music and all kinds of fun.
PS: Starting this Wednesday and every Wednesday through the summer, Little Fleet and the food trucks will be offering food & drink specials with special paired cocktails and dishes.
Listing of Traverse City Food Trucks
We will update the list and hours and offerings – head over to our Traverse City Food Truck page for the latest!!
- A’s Food with an Accent: Portuguese-influenced food – read our eatdrinkTC feature on Antonio Simao.
- Anchor Station: Your favorite comfort food done right. Opening May 16th at Little Fleet.
- Berry Family Enterprises – Family-owned and operated, serving fresh Great Lakes whitefish at the Barrels & Barrels Party store just south of Suttons Bay
- Curbie: Making food fun with paella, whitefish tacos, root beer floats and more. Opening soon at Little Fleet.
- Dragon Wagon: Fine Asian Cuisine from the owners of Red Ginger Specializing in private parties, caterings, local events (and sometimes in the Dingeman-Dancer lot)
- EZ Cheesy: Playfully gourmet grilled cheeses. Open Everyday 11am – 3pm, 5pm – 10pm (12pm on Friday and Saturday, 8pm on Sunday) at Little Fleet.
- Friends with Food: Farm-to-trailer food, opening towards the end of May at Little Fleet.
- King Wubbz Pita Dubz: Pita wraps and fast food for healthy living. Behind Cousin Jenny’s and elsewhere in downtown TC
- MI Fresh Start: Goodwill Industries food-service training truck, offering locally sourced tacos and sandwiches three days a week at Addiction Treatment Services on Eighth Street and also roaming in town
- Pigs Eatin’ Ribs: Making people happy by creating the best BBQ in northern Michigan. Open Tuesday – Saturday at Little Fleet.
- Roaming Harvest: Locally focused street food & fusion tacos grown, raised or made by local businesses and sustainable farms. Open Tuesday – Saturday for lunch and dinner at Little Fleet.
- Sombrero Verde: Fresh, healthy Latin-focused food using Michigan farmers & products. Opening mid-May (somewhere downtown).
- Toasted: Locally sourced brunch anytime Wednesday – Saturday, 11am – 8pm at Little Fleet.