The Master Gardener Association of Northwest Michigan is hosting a fun and educational event celebrating the latest trend in backyard gardening…chickens! Adults, children and families are invited to celebrate the backyard chicken on Sunday, October 19 at 3 pm at the Traverse City Opera House.
The Michigan Farm to Institution Network will host a tomato tour this Friday, September 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sorry folks – this has been cancelled!
Traverse City’s ongoing debate over events & festivals makes the Detroit Free Press and once again it’s coming off as Traverse City saying “NO” to tourism and tourist dollars. The matter is before the City Commission tonight, and we also scan through some positive press for our food scene.
Chef James Rigato is just 26 years old, but since graduating from Schoolcraft’s Culinary Program at age 17 he has worked at some of metro Detroit’s finer restaurants, opened The Root Restaurant & Bar with proprietor Ed Mamou, started the popular Young Guns Chef Dinner Series and is now a contestant on Season 12 of Top Chef. In October, he’s coming to Traverse City, and he’s bringing friends!
One of our favorite Twitter follows is The Intentional Minimalist @intentionalmini. Food writer & recipe developer Kristin Celeste Shroeger shares her farm-to-table recipes to encourage cooking in harmony with the seasons using local and sustainable produce in Northern Michigan.
Scrumptious purple cabbage slaw with a delightful verjus poppy seed dressing. (Click for the recipe!)
- 2016 Traverse City Beer Week – November 11-17
- Farmers Market Brunches during Cherry Festival
- Selden Standard chef Andy Hollyday and The Cooks’ House Guest Chef Series
- 2016 Short’s Anniversary Party
- Short’s Space Rock now gluten free
- Morel Dinner (and Hunt!) at Black Star Farms
- Morel Love
- Wild Food Wednesday: Morels
- Wild Food Wednesday: Ramps or Wild Leeks
- Friday Cocktail Hour: Pamplemousse by Gary Jonas of The Little Fleet